Image Map

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Mama Made It.

Have I told you how much I love to make Khage's food. I don't mean warm up his meals... I mean "bust out ten different ingredients, completely destroy the kitchen and use all the appliances at once"  and really make Khage food. When he was six months and working on solids I am proud to say I made everything. I boiled, mashed, pureed and froze all his meals and I absolutely loved it. Nothing pleased me more then to make the milk he drank and the food he ate. And still I get really excited about knowing exactly what he consumes and where it is prepared. I wont get into all the jumbo about preservatives, artificial coloring, and food fillers but I will say making your own meals for your children is not only gratifying,  it is also a healthy alternative and surprisingly cheaper then store bought foods. Okay, consider my soapbox trashed.
My newest craze is Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets.
I prepared it as directed in the recipe but I cut the chicken into smaller toddler friendly pieces and used some Italian style breadcrumbs in place of half of the flour. What I did next is really the funnest part of all. I then placed the nuggets, fully cooked and evenly spaced, on a baking sheet and placed them in the freezer overnight. Then when morning came around I threw them all into a Ziploc bag and patted myself on the back for making my first bag of chicken nuggets. Then lunch time came around and I removed three of them, warmed then up and handed them over to the greedy little hungry guy hanging from my pant leg. I dare not say where they went from there. But I will say this, Khage loves the taste of his homemade nuggets, I love that they dont contain any of the uglies mentioned earlier and Brad loves cereal. I know he's in a world all his own.
And I got over 20 nuggets for way less then five dollars. C'mon lets all get gronola and make our own nuggets!
Your wees will love them and so will your wallet.

No comments: